What is a commercial building used for?
A commercial property is a space that allows you to use the space for commercial activities such as food service, retail or any other business. Commercial buildings have been split into classifications designated into class A, B and C.
Class A buildings are usually newer construction properties with better amenities and infrastructure. However, this could be an older building that has been remodelled. Usually located in a popular area.
Class B buildings are maintained and well managed. Not always a new build but can be easily transformed by some renovations.
Class C buildings are often old properties, located in unbeneficial areas that are less maintained. There are building tends to need more work done. Landlords will charge less due to the work needing to be done.
Classifications for each building:
A1 – shops such as:
- Retail (not hot food)
- Post office
A2 – Professional services
- Health and medical services
A3 – Food and Drink
- Anything that serves hot food
A4 – Drinking establishments
- Wine bars
B1 – Business
B8 – Storage and Distribution
- Wholesale warehouse
- Distribution centre
C1 – Hotels
- Guest homes
C2 – Residential institutions
- Boarding schools
- Training centre
- Nursing homes
Do I need planning permission?
Yes, you do, it is essential that you have planning permission for commercial buildings.
When do you need commercial planning permission?
You will definitely need to have planning permission if you intend to:
- Add an extension or large-scale renovation.
- Build a new property.
- Change the use of the building. For example, changing the use from commercial to residential or residential to commercial.
Do I need Planning permission if I work from home?
Using space in your home will not usually need planning permission. However, you should get planning permission if:
- Your business is unusual to be in a residential area.
- Your employees work from your home. (But are not occupants)
- The number of customers visiting your home increases.
- Your business could disturb your neighbours.