Tag: conservationarea

Advice Center

A Full Beginner’s Guide To A Heritage Impact Assessment

Firstly, if you are thinking of buying a listed building or moving into a conservation area, and are thinking of making external changes to your home, this blog is for you.  

Altering or extending a listed building isn’t like changing any other type of structure. The level of information about the existing property, and what you propose to change about it is very different from a standard planning application. One thing you need to supply is a Heritage impact statement.  

What is a heritage impact assessment?  

A heritage impact assessment (HIA)is a document that outlines the historic or archaeological significance of a building or landscape within its wider setting. In addition, it includes an outline of any proposed works. Also, an assessment of their impact on the building or landscape, and a mitigation strategy.  

For example, The document considers the:  

  • The cultural heritage of the place 
  • The nature of proposed development 
  • The likely impact of that development on the significance of the place.  

Understanding the significance of a historic building complex or area and the possible impact of the proposed scheme on this sign is the key to good conservation practice. In addition, good information, available from the outset, can speed up the processing of applications. It can also reduce costs and lead to a better overall design.   

Why do you need a heritage impact assessment? 

You need to submit a heritage statement when you are proposing works that could affect a heritage asset in some way.   

A heritage impact assessment is needed for an application that affects a heritage asset. For instance, this would be needed for: 

  •  listed building consent applications 
  • Planning permission applications for sites within the setting of a listed building 
  • Building or developing in conservation areas 
  • Planning permission applications for sites within the scheduled ancient monument 
  • Planning permission applications for sites within registered parks and gardens 
  • Advertising consent applications on listed buildings or buildings in conservation areas. 

How much does the heritage assessment cost?  

Finally, depending on the simplicity or complexity of the proposed development. An assessment could be anywhere between, a £220 single-page letter of opinion. Or a full-blown £22,000 report.  

How the Heritage Impact Assessment process protects historic sites |  Planning, BIM & Construction Today

Contact us


Everything To Know About Extending Buildings Upwards

New permitted development rights that will cover a range of building types that allows them to go upwards and deliver new homes. 

At last, homeowners, developers, and landlords can build upward extensions and add two storeys for housing to their buildings without needing planning permission. This is generally referred to as upwards extension permitted development rights.  

The logic to this type of extension is that there is a severe housing shortage. And the government doesn’t want concrete over green space. So, if you can’t build out, you should build up.  

Can I extend my house upwards?  

If the existing house is two or more storeys high, you can extend your house upwards and add two storeys under new permitted development rights. If the building is only a single storey currently, you can add one more storey under permitted development.  

You can’t add new storeys using the new permitted development rights if the house has had any new storeys added to it since it was built.  

Planning permission –  

Houses built before 1948 cannot be extended upwards without planning permission. However, the easier route to building isn’t open to you. 

 Your property also will not qualify if it’s in a conservation area, an area of outstanding natural beauty or a national park. You also can’t use permitted development on a listed building, so you will need to get planning permission if you fall under any of these categories.   

A short summary –   

  • Firstly, If you live in a terrace, you can only go 3.5 meters above the rest of the terrace. 
  • If you live in a semi-detached house that’s two or more storeys high, you can add two storeys 
  • If you live in a bungalow, you can only add one storey, and for all houses, the roof type must match what you have right now.  

Cost of an upward extension –  

There are a lot of factors that will affect the cost. However, you should be budgeting around £50,000 – £70,000 to build a one-storey extension. Whereas, if you’re building a double-storey the price would be around £80,000 – £100,000.  

Not only does an extension add space to your home, but it also increases the value of the property. Research has shown that an extension can add up to 23% to the value of your property.   

Upwards Extension in Islington - HPD

Contact us

Advice Center, House Renovation

The best guide to building in a conservation area

What is a conservation area?  

A conservation area is an area of special architectural or historic interest, the character of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance. And in other words, the features that make it unique. So conservation areas protect all the natural resources that are critical to people on earth. The protected areas provide for life’s essentials.  

To build a property and/or make adjustments to your property on a conservation area you would need a wildlife assessment check. This assessment is a free online tool that identifies protected or priority wildlife species in the location where proposed works take place.  

The trees are automatically protected from being cut down. This is because the trees may contribute to the special character of the conservation area.  

You can check with your local planning authority to see if your proposed work is in the area. And planning authorities designate the conservation areas.  

Generally, you need planning permission for relevant demolition and alterations to the house in a conservation area to do the following:  

Demolition –  

  • Demolish a building with a volume of 115 cubic meters or more. 
  • To demolish any gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure with: A height of one meter or more if next to a motorway, footpath, waterway or open space. And a height of two meters or more elsewhere.  

Alterations to the house –  

  • Any type of extension. 
  • Additions, alterations or extension to roofs. 
  • Cladding any part of the house with stone, render, timber, and another material. 
  • The construction of buildings (sheds) containers (tanks) and enclosures (swimming pools)  
  • The installation of chimneys, flues and vents on the main elevation of a house. 
  • Installation of satellite dishes or antennae on a chimney, wall or roof slope.  

Alterations to windows and doors, and painting the outside of the house do not require planning permission.  

It might be more expensive to have work done in a conservation area. This is because there are a lot of restrictions, especially on materials. And paperwork has to be completed 

A conservation area is likely to boost the value of your home, due to the fact that that the neighborhood is attractive and will remain so.  

Buying in a Conservation Area
Houses in a conservation area

Contact us