Eco-Friendly Ways To Improve And Create An Eco-House
Building an eco-house has never been easier than what they are now. They have become the new focus for many new builds, wanting to help the environment.
What is an eco-house?
An eco-house is a type of home that tries to lessen its impact if the environment. This affects everything, including the materials chosen to build it. Also, the water and energy usage are set up to be as efficient as possible.
Are eco-homes good to live in?
One of the biggest benefits of choosing to build with eco materials is that they are free from harmful chemicals, finishes, and potential environmental pollutants. This makes them safer to build and a healthier home environment.
Do you need planning permission for an eco-house?
Getting planning permission for an eco-project will be similar to planning permission on a traditional build. Whether you get accepted will depend on the location and the overall look and design of your project.
If you are planning to build an eco-house here are some things you should include:
- Double or triple glazed windows
- Large windows that increase daylight – larger windows means that more sun light will light up the house. This will help you save energy.
- High levels of insulation – increasing the amount of thermal insulation is the main component of preventing energy loss.
- High levels of airtightness
- Heating and/or hot water provision from a renewable source (solar panels, heat pump)
- Renewable energy systems, such a solar PV and solar thermal – placing solar panels towards the sun means that you will be getting free heat and electricity gained from the sun
- Build with sustainable materials
How much does it cost to build an eco-house?
Eco-houses and their various features can be more expensive than traditional homes. However, you should keep in mind that you are making an investment in the environment. In Scottland, it cost around £325,000 to build an eco-house in the Unst, but because of the extra costs, it would come to around £195,000 – £200,000 on the mainland.
Why are eco-friendly homes important?
Green homes are environmentally friendly because they make use of renewable and plentiful clean energy sources. They also help reduce your carbon footprint; this would help slow climate change. They reduce air and water pollution and helps maintain clean water resources.