Are New Build Houses Better Quality Than Old Houses?
Many people say older homes are of better quality than new homes. This is because in an older home they are probably with plaster and lathe. Whereas, the modern newer homes are often made out of drywall which is a weaker material.
What is the difference between a new builds and an old builds?
New build houses are homes that have recently been build and have never had anyone live in them. Whereas, an older house has had at least one person living inside and has been built for a couple of years.
There are many pros and cons for both types of houses for example:
Pros for a new build:
- Energy efficient – newer and modern buildings have become super insulated, they have double glazing and have heating and cooling systems.
- Builder’s warranty – usually new builds have a warranty for around 10 years, and if anything goes wrong the builders will fix it.
- More personalisation – you get to have more of a say in the design element. For example, you can choose the carpets, flooring, kitchens and bathrooms.
- Everything is brand new – because everything is new it will all be less maintenance than an older home.
Cons for a new build:
- Space – new homes are often a lot more crammed and they seem to suffer with parking.
- Smaller rooms – new builds are often smaller and you would need to think more about internal space.
- Premium prices – the houses are brand new which means everything is new so it will become more expensive.
- Build delays – if you buy the house before its actually built you can experience delays. It can also have a knock-on effect on your mortgage offer.
Pros for an old build:
- Character – if character and history is important to you an old build is perfect. They often have decorative windows, fireplaces and flooring.
- Size – older houses tend to have more internal and external space. And houses that were built around 1920 – 1930 often have large gardens and high ceilings.
- See issues – with these houses’ problems are usually visible and if you are purchasing you can pull out of the deal if you like.
- Adds value – you are able to renovate the house to how you like and add on to it. However, it’s hard to add value to a new build because everything is new.
Cons for and old build:
- High maintenance – the houses have been standing longer and could have had a lot of owners. You also need to keep it looking good and structurally sound.
- Poor energy efficiency – the energy bills may be higher because the houses are bigger and less insulated.
- Renovations costs – the houses are less likely to be suited to you and they could be run down from previous owners. It could cost you money to repair it.
Deciding on which houses are better is completely down to people’s opinions and there is no right or wrong answer.